Wednesday, June 29, 2011

We Are All Expected to be Teachers of Reading

That's a direct quote from a book I've been reading.  Logically, the authors go on to describe, in clear detail, the research evidence pointing to the effectiveness of specific reading (and writing) strategies, and the importance of using content area knowledge as part of learning the reading strategy.

Since my last blog entry, I've been asking myself how I might include 'reading lessons' in my Chemistry class.  As I was browsing the education section of Barnes and Noble today, I chanced upon a book that explains exactly that: it's called Teaching Reading in Science: A Supplement to Teaching Reading in the Content Areas Teacher's Manual.  I immediately was drawn by the title, and then leafing through the book, I realized that it laid out the specific literacy strategies complete with examples and extension activities.  It's not a very long book, and it's written almost like an instruction manual.  The language gets straight to the point, and multiple strategies are explained.

As I continue with reading the book, I'm convinced that I will need to share this with my colleagues in the Science Department.  I will suggest that they read the book and the strategies that it explains, and then consider applying some of these in our lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment