Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Which blog provider should we use?

It has obviously been a while since I've posted anything on this blog.  What has happened since January?  The blog committee has not met again; I suppose it's the load of teaching four blocks a day that did that, primarily.  My attention has also been on doing research for the Critical Reading committee, and we've made some headway over there.

With the graduation and classes being over, I've had a chance to play around more with some of the possibilities that exist about introducing blogging to the school.  Here are some more things that I have learned, commenting first about the plan the I had written about in January...
It turns out that wiki is not specifically the way to go.  The structure of a wiki is not easily conducive to creating a blog.  Remember that the primary purpose of introducing blogging to SBP is to improve writing skills.  A wiki would be useful for creating classroom content and discussions, but the design of the basic pages on wikispaces is not useful for team blogging.

I'm sad to say that because there was that useful feature of creating 'accounts' for various students in one's class.  To use another provider that does not have that useful feature will add to the 'work' that the teacher needs to do, but I think I've found a way around that.

Next, I found out that there is a 'service' called edublog, and this provider allows for free blogs, also.  The issue with edublog seems to be that the 'premium' features are only available on paid accounts.  For now, I believe that the best way to go is to use Blogger.  In my next entry, I'm going to explain why.

No comments:

Post a Comment